Tuesday, October 7, 2008

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: GO FISH

It was six years ago today that my comic panel Go Fish was launched by United Features Syndicate.

 

And it was one year ago tomorrow that it ended after an unspectacular five-year run.


It was about a psychiatrist. Here's a quote from the press kit:



Here's a sample of the comic for the vast majority of Americans who missed it (not that they're reading this blog), and a trip down memory lane for the two or three people who remember it (not that they're reading this blog, either):



Go Fish ran briefly as Go Figure, my original title, but there turned out to be a copyright conflct over that name and I had to change it. Here's the cover of the original press kit:



Actually, "original press kit" implies that there was a replacement press kit with the new title, but the syndicate never replaced it. Maybe having a press kit with the correct title would have helped newspaper sales...? What a crazy concept.


Sour grapes? My favorite snack!

7 comments:

RDHolt said...

I'm sorry I never saw this comic. The samples are really good, and I think the idea had a ton of potential.
Speaking of sour grapes, I guess you needed to appeal to a particular group or run "Classic Fuscos" to get readers, considering what is on the comic pages today.
You're doing well. Having to come up with funny material every day could make anyone need a psychiatrist.

L. Erskine said...

I read your blog. I have been for a few weeks (or maybe a month).

I am enjoying it enough that I added it to google reader so that I never miss a post. :)

JCD said...

Thanks, guys.

Hella said...

Hi :) Go fish was my favorite comic and i was really sorry when you ended it last year. i tried to find it today on comics.com, but it's no longer there, actually it seems to have vanished from the internet... is there somewhere i can still find it?
nice blog btw, i'm adding it to my google reader :)

JCD said...

Hella,

So YOU'RE the person who who read Go Fish. (Not a lot of people did.) Thanks.

No, Go Fish is not around anywhere, except for that big newspaper in the sky.

I tried to check out your blog, but it's invitaion only... kind of like Go Fish was.

Hella said...

So it's really gone :( that's a shame...
I checked out your new comic - The Fusco Brothers and it's great too!
Keep up the good work!

JCD said...

Thanks.

Actually, Fusco has been around for 19 years (Go Fish ran for 5), but I guess it keeps a fairly low profile.