Tuesday, October 27, 2020

WHAT'S IN A NAME?


 Well, this is a little weird.

I just came across this clipping from 17 years ago in the Detroit News., featuring a comic strip I did from 2000 until 2005. The strip's ORIGINAL title was indeed Go Figure, but it turned out there was another strip (in Hawaii only) with that same name that neither I nor United Features Syndicate found in our Google searches. Either right before launch or shortly after launch, the woman who did that strip threatened to sue us unless we either stopped using the name or paid her $15,000. (I believe) and agreed not to run my strip in Hawaii.

My syndicate and I decided to change the name. It was an easy decision. I came up with Go Fish.

Apparently the Detroit News never got the memo, and the woman in Hawaii never visited Detroit and picked up a newspaper.

No comments: